Register Forums CrazyCajun Memorial Dollspital For Alexa TillBrook JY hand?

2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  Anonymous 9 months, 3 weeks ago
  • Author
    Posts
  • #396

    Anonymous
    • Posts 100
    @

    Alexa had said the JY doll is suffering broken digits?
    Just thought I’d post for Alexa the wrist and finger setup.
    Now it is my understanding the JY’s and Rifrano are similar in hand design

    Fixing them are not extremely difficult. I did not come across any welded nuts or screws
    The whole hand can be removed from doll, and worked on out of her
    It is basically a tube, with a nut welded to it and screws into forearm
    Top of tube is pinched closed to hold the wires in. No glue/epoxies needed.
    Factory Tube and wires hand. Wires are 2 strand .07mm… very tiny fingers
    Hand tube
    The bolt that holds the hand tube on. I put masking tape on to keep it from turning too much
    Forearm bolt
    This was a replacement of her left hand, it was ready to be inserted in fingers. Wires were rigid
    and did break at the end of tube. Floppy wrist 🙂
    Ready to go in.
    This is how a Rifrano or JY are made. on older models. Maybe newer ones are updated now.
    Be very careful when removing the tube.
    There is a tack weld holding the nut to the tube, and it is a rushed crappy weld. (was on Lu)
    I’d broken it when prying the crimp to get the old wires out, was able to weld it back in place
    So screw the tube back on doll, and carefully feed fingers from thumb to pinky.
    May have to snake wires at tube a bit when starting to feed them into TPE molds.

  • #1103

    Don Keydick
    Participant
    • Posts 164
    @DKeydick

    Yep, that is definitely what a Rifrano hand skeleton looks like. Julia had her fingers break in the exact same place. My quick fix was to use an electrical butt connector with an internal diameter just large enough to fit the finger wire in and the flared plastic end just large enough to fit over the tube portion at the palm. I cut off the flared portion on one end and fit the finger wire into the connector with a little clear Gorilla Glue and crimped it to the finger wire. Then I applied a little glue into the flared end and positioned onto the palm wire. so far it is holding up fine and only required a small slit in the top of the palm. I have had one break again at the finger wire just at the connector. The solution is a slightly longer butt connector and re do the whole process. Not perfect but keeps her from having floppy fingers.  I have not fixed her thumbs yet but will use a similar approach for now. So far the thumbs pretty much stay put due to the thickness of the TPE there so they are not floppy.  It feels like the thumbs both broke in the wire only portion and if so I can trim off both flared portions of the connector and just glue and crimp the rest.

    photo of the connector used with one end already trimmed and showing where the flared portion will fit over the palm wire.

    "A woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man" Ulysses Everett McGill
    That is why I have Dolls
    "Making DollsBook Great"

  • #1130

    Anonymous
    • Posts 100
    @

    Yep, that is definitely what a Rifrano hand skeleton looks like. Julia had her fingers break in the exact same place. My quick fix was to use an electrical butt connector with an internal diameter just large enough to fit the finger wire in and the flared plastic end just large enough to fit over the tube portion at the palm. I cut off the flared portion on one end and fit the finger wire into the connector with a little clear Gorilla Glue and crimped it to the finger wire. Then I applied a little glue into the flared end and positioned onto the palm wire. so far it is holding up fine and only required a small slit in the top of the palm. I have had one break again at the finger wire just at the connector. The solution is a slightly longer butt connector and re do the whole process. Not perfect but keeps her from having floppy fingers. I have not fixed her thumbs yet but will use a similar approach for now. So far the thumbs pretty much stay put due to the thickness of the TPE there so they are not floppy. It feels like the thumbs both broke in the wire only portion and if so I can trim off both flared portions of the connector and just glue and crimp the rest. photo of the connector used with one end already trimmed and showing where the flared portion will fit over the palm wire.

    I was gonna do something like that at first. But figured she’d just wreck more LOL

    Clumsy Lu!!

     

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.