Tagged: ,

2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Anonymous 4 years, 10 months ago
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Posts 10
      @

More info for you folk who like to dabble.

I’ve had a brief discussion with someone and they had said Xylene can extract clear TPE from colored TPE. I’ve not noticed myself. In all my huffing of Xylene 🙂

Here is the copy and paste message from a vendor on TDF. (Grimreefer)

Quote>

“Really cool thing with a xylene and TPE mix is that the pigment is heavier than the solvent and the TPE. You can separate the pigment, and get clear TPE by disloving it and letting it settle and evaporate. It’s mostly useless since clear sealer can be made of almost any pigment of TPE. It’s just interesting”.

<Quote

I have found that Jinsan TPE leaves a residue on the container, whereas any other TPE does not. It is clean. @dbevadmin had sent me a chunk of Jinsan TPE to test with and this is the TPE that goes filmy,gooey in the bottle with Xylene (upper bottle above mix) Maybe it’s not Jinsan?? I do not know exactly where @dbevadmin got this sample.

Possibly the answer to this is filler? More filler is used to have a less tacky surface of TPE? (Calcium carbonate, Talc)

meh, for what it’s worth!

Isabella Dollicious
      • Posts 19
      @L4ZLO
      • It’s true… I notice that whenever I add extra coloring to tpe mix and then let it sit, the pigments will fall down to the bottom and take the original factory pigment with it.(I added cornstarch to the solution to accelerate this process) I suppose that if you syphon off the solution and repeat the process you’d end up with clear TPE.

Anonymous
        Inactive
        • Posts 10
        @

Thats neat. Seems like a time consuming endeavour.

• It’s true… I notice that whenever I add extra coloring to tpe mix and then let it sit, the pigments will fall down to the bottom and take the original factory pigment with it.(I added cornstarch to the solution to accelerate this process) I suppose that if you syphon off the solution and repeat the process you’d end up with clear TPE.

That’s neat. I’ve never really made a mix with a large quantity of solvent/TPE.

I bet you that this is Indigo’s “Diffusion Adhesive” ?? LOL  It’s less time consuming using pellets. there are pellets that are used specifically for adhesive resins. I was going to buy some low heat melt/resin pellets from a seller on Alibaba, but they were not willing to ship me a small amount. Just as well, they wanted over 50 bucks a pound LOL

The clear pellets I have are a high heat/durable TPE, starting melt temps are 170C minimum. Takes a while to get ’em flowing, even then it’s like stirring bubble gum. Slow injection molding pellet I suppose it be 🙂

here is the Jinsan/Xylene mix and the yuck on the container. No other TPE I have does this with Xylene. The first mix I made of this I’d used Acetone with Xylene and seeing this I’d thought maybe it was the Acetone. But this pic is just with Xylene.

Once it has hardened/evaporated the solvent it appears normal and sticks very very good.

I’m thinking the goo on there is the powder/filler within the TPE that has come out of the material.

An old TDF post Indigo posted a pic like this and says it the “monomer” which I do not believe is. I don’t read his posts very thoroughly anymore LOL

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.