16 replies, 6 voices Last updated by  Anonymous 9 months, 2 weeks ago
  • Author

Alexa Tilbrook KI5JYD
    Keymaster
    • Posts 133
    @ki5jyd

Damn it, @rgc0767, I’m an amateur radio operator, not a doctor!

Anyway, I done the tried and true (yet frowned upon by the other forum) Xylene repair technique on @daphnetilbrook‘s face. She had a serious laceration (due to me wanting to have her scream “Whataburger” in a pseudo-realistic way), and it affected her.

She went under the knife, I mean paintbrush, just about an hour ago. It is gonna leave a scar, but at least it’s not serious.

She has a bandage of sorts on to help with the healing… I have a picture of the final result before bandaging.

The trick is to:

1. Thoroughly clean and dry the area to be repaired. The area needs to be tacky so the Xylene can be effective.
    2. Slow and low is the tempo, as the Beastie Boys used to say. Or, haste makes waste, as my grandma used to say. Don’t expect to make this a project that you can finish in an afternoon. And be steady with the brush.
    3. The TPE will start to “melt” when you apply it. When it does, STOP. Align the parts together, like when you are gluing something together.
    4. Apply Vaseline or baby oil once when some dryness appears. But keep holding those parts together!
    5. Use a dry brush (no Xylene or oil/Vaseline) to touch up.
    6. Bandage with masking tape and rolled gauze.
    7. If there are multiple repairs, don’t do it all at once. Just like some surgeries on humans have to be done in multiple visits, so is it the same with TPE ladies.
    8. Powder and oil to your liking.

Hope this TPE med student got a passing grade!

sudo apt-get -y install Daphne
    The one who has the only known JY Doll who is addicted to Whataburger

Daphne C Tilbrook
    Keymaster
    • Posts 10
    @DaphneTilbrook

I’m healing nicely, guys, gals and dolls.

But I’ve got a few more procedures to undergo before I’m back to good again.

This anesthesia is a BITCH, it’s just wearing off.

I’ll be updating again after my next procedure!

I am the only known JY doll who IS addicted to Whataburger!
    No Whataburger, no sex.

Anonymous
    • Posts 100
    @

Damn it, @rgc0767, I’m an amateur radio operator, not a doctor! Anyway, I done the tried and true (yet frowned upon by the other forum) Xylene repair technique on @daphnetilbrook‘s face. She had a serious laceration (due to me wanting to have her scream “Whataburger” in a pseudo-realistic way), and it affected her. She went under the knife, I mean paintbrush, just about an hour ago. It is gonna leave a scar, but at least it’s not serious. She has a bandage of sorts on to help with the healing… I have a picture of the final result before bandaging. The trick is to:

1. Thoroughly clean and dry the area to be repaired. The area needs to be tacky so the Xylene can be effective.
    2. Slow and low is the tempo, as the Beastie Boys used to say. Or, haste makes waste, as my grandma used to say. Don’t expect to make this a project that you can finish in an afternoon. And be steady with the brush.
    3. The TPE will start to “melt” when you apply it. When it does, STOP. Align the parts together, like when you are gluing something together.
    4. Apply Vaseline or baby oil once when some dryness appears. But keep holding those parts together!
    5. Use a dry brush (no Xylene or oil/Vaseline) to touch up.
    6. Bandage with masking tape and rolled gauze.
    7. If there are multiple repairs, don’t do it all at once. Just like some surgeries on humans have to be done in multiple visits, so is it the same with TPE ladies.
    8. Powder and oil to your liking.

Hope this TPE med student got a passing grade!

Looking good. Are you happy thus far?  A little bit of heat from hot air and some texture would blend in that even further. I’ve been using a tight pored sponge soaked in mineral oil when blending. Sponge has got to be saturated, so it does not stick and pull material away.

No hot air? once you are satisfied, cornstarch will make it look better too.

I think you did good, I’d seen the before, and it is an improvement.

Some TPE and Xylene testing I have played with, does not always melt on contact. If the TPE is under any tension it will split and melt. Thickness of material also plays a role too.

I need to do Lu’s ears in behind, so I will see how well my skills are too, I’m always learning too.

Nice job you did!!

Don Keydick
    Participant
    • Posts 164
    @DKeydick

Lookin good so far.  I imagine all of these dolls are a little different even ones from the same manufacturer. Each one will have their individual characteristics and properties. Only by a little careful experimentation can we find what works best for our individual dolls. Just like people need to find what remedies work best for them specifically. Screw using the pricey repair stuff the manufacturers or distributors sell when something you can find in a hardware store works just fine.

"A woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man" Ulysses Everett McGill
    That is why I have Dolls
    "Making DollsBook Great"

Anonymous
    • Posts 100
    @

Lookin good so far. I imagine all of these dolls are a little different even ones from the same manufacturer. Each one will have their individual characteristics and properties. Only by a little careful experimentation can we find what works best for our individual dolls. Just like people need to find what remedies work best for them specifically. Screw using the pricey repair stuff the manufacturers or distributors sell when something you can find in a hardware store works just fine.

Exactly.

We were being misled somewhat on TDF. I read a post by Crazycajun he compared Xylene to the vendor stuff. And he had said he found no difference in quality of repair. I trusted his word. Why would he lie?

Sorry Kevin. 🙂

But using Xylene 1 out of 4 test toys did not work with it, so Don Key is right, not all blends are equivalent.

I just did a small test just now on Lu’s ear. Yep, it bonds. Ear is torn just about right along entire ear. I cleaned with 99% Isopropyl alcohol/Qtip, wiped and mopped up excess alcohol with qtip, let it evaporate, and used a brush the size of a pencil lead to apply to tear on bottom of ear beneath lobe. Fused it up so far so so good.

Here’s the deal breaker. I used Xylene on a partial area of Lu’s foot stitch up. It held ok. But, when using heat to blend surface it did come apart at the Xylene area. May have been my doing, I am not sure, but something to consider for future reference.

Anonymous
    • Posts 100
    @

Per @dkeydick request here is a before shot of Lu’s ear tear. Will do repair tonight and will post results (hopefully with no damage) tomorrow.

Anonymous
    • Posts 100
    @

I’m healing nicely, guys, gals and dolls. But I’ve got a few more procedures to undergo before I’m back to good again. This anesthesia is a BITCH, it’s just wearing off. I’ll be updating again after my next procedure!

You are gonna be fine. Your Doctor. will learn quickly, and will do very little damage, if any!!

We all need patience with each other for success!! 🙂

RainKing
    Keymaster
    • Posts 68
    @rainking

Did someone say anesthesia?

Eva was covered!

This was back in the Hand surgery days… Had her a hairnet on and a sleepy mask.

Alexa Tilbrook KI5JYD
    Keymaster
    • Posts 133
    @ki5jyd

Thanks and 88 (big hugs) from Daphne and me for the kudos!

Yeah, Daphne is a late 2017 JY, and so she has a different TPE formulation than older pre-September 2017 JY dolls, and probably of other dolls from the same factory, and definitely different than other manufacturers’.

So, the directions were based upon my own observations. Since Daphne’s TPE formulation is softer than WM/Jinsan TPE, and of JY TPE before September 2017, Xylene has a profound effect on her. That is why I said to be extremely careful, when it starts to “melt”, you stop, and gently press the parts together for about 5 minutes. Then I had to halt any further chemical reaction by putting on some baby oil, or it would make the repair worse.

She’s got a dimple where her huge gash under her lips used to be… I think it makes her cute!

And, yeah, @dkeydick, I only paid $7.56 after Texas 8.25% sales tax ($6.99) for a quart of Xylene, plus $2 on paintbrushes [two (2) packs of Crayola paintbrushes @$1/ea] and $3 on masking tape and $1 on 91% isopropyl alcohol and $2 on gauze… so about $15 total… Not including $2.50 for Trinity Metro (Fort Worth Transportation Authority) bus pass (I am eligible for half fare). Compare that to paying $40 or so for a TEASPOON of the stuff from a vendor! No thanks.

Thank God that likeminded people like us, going against the status quo of TDF, when in its early days, imaginative tips like these were ENCOURAGED! Now, its all astroturfing and saying that you are doing this at your own risk. No shit, Sherlock! Tandy/Radio Shack had tried such a tactic with their TRS-80 line. The Model I/II/III/4 and Color Computer had strict warnings to have any upgrades and repairs performed by “authorized Radio Shack personnel” in the manual. Did that stop anyone? Hell no. Frank Hogg, Tony DiStefano and others sold aftermarket kits for the CoCo, and wrote about it in The Rainbow!

TDF repair forum was full of these ideas. Now it’s a ghost town, with basically Samara78 saying, “why not I fix her for you? PM me and we’ll negotiate a price.” In. Every. Single. Repair. Post. She really just wants to buy your doll from you, and have her partner in crime Jeff of BCD sell you a new one.

The irony of it is, some of these techniques were pioneered by Samara herself! But sorry, on a forum, it becomes public domain. That’s something she doesn’t realize.

But anyway, thanks for the kind words! Dollsbook rules!

Anonymous
    • Posts 100
    @

Per @dkeydick request here is a before shot of Lu’s ear tear. Will do repair tonight and will post results (hopefully with no damage) tomorrow.

Here is the result.

Anonymous
    • Posts 100
    @

Since Daphne’s TPE formulation is softer than WM/Jinsan TPE, and of JY TPE before September 2017, Xylene has a profound effect on her.

Quite possibly most dolls head material is softer then body?. It is on Lu. So using chemical or heat repairs on head is riskier. Ask @rainking about that 🙂 he had burned a hole 🙂

I’d used Xylene on her foot cut I’d made, and basically just plastered the stuff on LOL did not eat TPE all up.

I’m an amateur at this doll stuff, and some of the band aid fixes posted on TDF by a pro, give me a bit of a chuckle LOL (Sometimes using heat is the only way for more permanent repair)

That TPE welding video I did with a huge gash? every once in a while I give it a stretch. Still holding up. TPE on that  toy is slowly disappearing, as I do other experiments with it 🙂

Alexa Tilbrook KI5JYD
    Keymaster
    • Posts 133
    @ki5jyd

The soldering iron trick you posted? I need to get to HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) and get me one soon! (I have at least two good reasons why now. TPE repair, and electronics making and repair! [That’s actually one reason in the latter example.])

It might help with some of the more difficult portions of where her TPE is torn, and when I’m done with that, I bust out some RG-58 50Ω coax, some PL-259 connectors, and some rosin core solder; and make me an inverted V dipole HF antenna! 😁

It’s in my shopping cart at HRO now. Thanks, @rgc0767 for that idea. (I subscribed to your YouTube channel, by the way.)

And I haven’t really figured out if the density of Daphne’s TPE differs from her head compared to the rest of her body. I’ll do that Sunday, because I have a hamfest in Parker County tomorrow (Saturday) that I am going to, because I have been having it on my calendar since the beginning of October. There will be door prizes, and grand prize is a Yaesu FT-7900R 2m/70cm (144 MHz/440 MHz radio bands, not size of the radio)! It’s a $400 radio and I want it!

But, thanks for the tip regarding soldering iron for TPE repair. I was in the market for a soldering iron anyway, due to me being an amateur radio licensee… 😉

Anonymous
    • Posts 100
    @

The soldering iron trick you posted? I need to get to HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) and get me one soon! (I have at least two good reasons why now. TPE repair, and electronics making and repair! [That’s actually one reason in the latter example.]) It might help with some of the more difficult portions of where her TPE is torn, and when I’m done with that, I bust out some RG-58 50Ω coax, some PL-259 connectors, and some rosin core solder; and make me an inverted V dipole HF antenna! 😁 It’s in my shopping cart at HRO now. Thanks, @rgc0767 for that idea. (I subscribed to your YouTube channel, by the way.) And I haven’t really figured out if the density of Daphne’s TPE differs from her head compared to the rest of her body. I’ll do that Sunday, because I have a hamfest in Parker County tomorrow (Saturday) that I am going to, because I have been having it on my calendar since the beginning of October. There will be door prizes, and grand prize is a Yaesu FT-7900R 2m/70cm (144 MHz/440 MHz radio bands, not size of the radio)! It’s a $400 radio and I want it! But, thanks for the tip regarding soldering iron for TPE repair. I was in the market for a soldering iron anyway, due to me being an amateur radio licensee… 😉

Hot air SMD may be the way to go. It has a solder iron with it. However, I’ve never used the iron with the SMD rework. I just use the cheapie irons with the solid tip. The one where the tip is hollow is trickier to make TPE repair tips and blades and balls. Getting cheap TPE toys for practice helps too.

The thing I’ve found? Practicing on a cheap TPE toy, gaining confidence some, then go to work on Dolly, it can be different. Lu’s heat for hot air is 150c and is manageable. with very little smoke. Too much smoke, too hot. Too hot, and damage can occur in a blink of an eye. Baby steps in the beginning indeed 🙂

Another debate in the forums is Baby oil vs Mineral oil. In the case of wiping dolly down, either is fine. But mineral oil is best when doing heat repairs.

Why? Baby oil contains a thickener, and it will gel the area. Whereas mineral oil does not, and tools slide better using it. I’ve had TPE pieces slide around like crazy in it, when trying to fill a hole. slippery 🙂

Hope you can win that radio!

Don Keydick
    Participant
    • Posts 164
    @DKeydick

This is  all invaluable information for everyone, thanks for posting the pics. Now that I have seen first hand success on two different dolls I am definitely tryin it. The small tears in both of Julia`s ears were probably caused by wig straps. They always seem to get caught in her ears when changing and adjusting her wigs. Both in a non stressed area so I will definitely be purchasing some xylene and applying a tiny bit with a q-tip or toothpick maybe and see how it works. There is a very cool old timey kind of hardware store across the street actually called Your Hardware Store that should have it. It is one of those great old family owned independent stores so they have lots of cool obscure stuff besides the regular kind of stuff. I love any excuse to go in there and look around.

"A woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man" Ulysses Everett McGill
    That is why I have Dolls
    "Making DollsBook Great"

Anonymous
    • Posts 100
    @

The small tears in both of Julia`s ears were probably caused by wig straps. They always seem to get caught in her ears when changing and adjusting her wigs.

I was thinking the wig fibers could as well act as a razor. There was a mafia movie. I remember a guy slitting someone’s throat with piano wire. So we pull a wig off, it could act like a razor. But of course wig straps too.

I also did not show a small cut on her ear lobe, Xylene closed that up too. How long will repairs last? Rainy, be the one to ask, he did an ear repair a while ago.

I used a very small brush to do the ear last night. a little dab, let it flow into the cut, quickly close up and hold for a few minutes.

Another test I did. The excess I’d cut from the homemade TPE fingers, decide to butt them up together with xylene. 2 differents cuts, seams don’t match. here is the end result.

Eva L’Fleur
    Keymaster
    • Posts 169
    @dbevadmin

I was thinking the wig fibers could as well act as a razor. There was a mafia movie. I remember a guy slitting someone’s throat with piano wire. So we pull a wig off, it could act like a razor. But of course wig straps too. I also did not show a small cut on her ear lobe, Xylene closed that up too. How long will repairs last? Rainy, be the one to ask, he did an ear repair a while ago. I used a very small brush to do the ear last night. a little dab, let it flow into the cut, quickly close up and hold for a few minutes. Another test I did. The excess I’d cut from the homemade TPE fingers, decide to butt them up together with xylene. 2 differents cuts, seams don’t match. here is the end result.

SO Far so good on the ear fix. that was on Julissa she don’t come out much tho. and RGC did a much better job on the closure than Rainy did… sorry hun, but he did!

Anonymous
    • Posts 100
    @

I was thinking the wig fibers could as well act as a razor. There was a mafia movie. I remember a guy slitting someone’s throat with piano wire. So we pull a wig off, it could act like a razor. But of course wig straps too. I also did not show a small cut on her ear lobe, Xylene closed that up too. How long will repairs last? Rainy, be the one to ask, he did an ear repair a while ago. I used a very small brush to do the ear last night. a little dab, let it flow into the cut, quickly close up and hold for a few minutes. Another test I did. The excess I’d cut from the homemade TPE fingers, decide to butt them up together with xylene. 2 differents cuts, seams don’t match. here is the end result.

SO Far so good on the ear fix. that was on Julissa she don’t come out much tho. and RGC did a much better job on the closure than Rainy did… sorry hun, but he did!

I still have to do the other ear lol, I wish I could find the eyelash mask protectors that came from factory. Face planting Lu into pillow is bending her lashes, I just fastened them better too LOL… Julissa? is the lady otherwise known as “Soul” ?? You got a busy place over there, hard to keep tabs 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.